Saturday, October 3, 2009

fanfic

Hello Everyone!
I found interesting the chapter that discussed fanfic as a 'new' literacy. Before Dr. Knobel's class - i didn't even know what Fanfic was. There are many different types of new literacies such as remixes and so forth. I feel that these types of literacies makes reading fun again for children.
I went on a job interview recently and one of the questions i was asked was,
"Children seemed to have lost an interest in reading, how would you keep them engaged - how would you bring them back?"
I wish i would of read this chapter before going on that interview. One of my responses was to find the interests of the children and try to incorporate that in the classroom. Fanfic is an adventure. People are responsive to this type of literacy style especially our young readers. Fanfic is not just role-playing. Studying young children's lives and interests - helps improve professional development for teachers. By finding the interests of our children we are developing new approaches to teaching and learning. There is a joy in engaging children in reading. Students are more equipped than we think they are. I had students one time mention to me that over the weekend, they created a youtube video for fun and presented music and so forth that was of interest to them. Children love using new technologies to help them learn and grow. I didn't know if anyone else has seen this in their classrooms - or with their own children at home?
Well it was definitely an interesting read for me. - Stephanie Morales

No comments:

Post a Comment