Monday, October 19, 2009

Stop Motion Animation

While tutoring last week, the fifth grade boy that I tutor had to do a writing assignment on his "Favorite Place". He went on to describe why his room is his favorite place since he is able to create "pretend" movies with his lego figures. Over the weekend, I took a look at many of the Legomation clips on YouTube. I was amazed to see what we've all come to know and love as legos magically come to life into very unique clips with characters, plots, and even problem/solutions. When I went to tutor today, I asked the mother of the student that I tutor if I could use the computer to show him these clips. Well, I've never seen him as engaged as I did today! It was like all his dreams were brought to life through these legomation media clips. I decided to take hold of this "teachable moment" and have him describe one of his lego "masterpieces" to me. We then began to construct a storyboard illustrating and expanding upon each scene. I plan on continuing this project with the student that I tutor and hope that I can work alongside him to create his very on "real" legomation clip. Thanks for the advice Dr. Knobel! I will keep you all posted on our progress!

Erika Pavlecka 10/19/09

1 comment:

  1. Erika--this sounds absolutely fantastic! What a lovely thing to have shown your student. Can't wait for the next update!

    ReplyDelete